Term Details

Display Hierarchical | Alphabetical | KWOC | KWIC

Top Terms > Facilities > Structures > Structural parts > Structural members > Joints (Engineering) > Contraction joints

Find related records

Search with TRT term only:

TRB Publications Index
Research in Progress

Expanded search with
narrower TRT terms:

TRB Publications Index
Research in Progress

Contraction joints (Pbpbhh)

Joints at the ends of a rigid slab to control the location of transverse cracks. Also, a joint that controls the cracking effect of concrete shrinking as it cures. It generally has a water stop incorporated into it and is typically found in wing walls and retaining walls where seeping water needs to be controlled. (Source: AASHTO Glossary)
Broader Term
Joints (Engineering) (Pbpbh)
Related Terms (Hierarchical)
Backing strips (Pbpbhb)
Ball and socket joints (Pbpbhc)
Butt joints (Pbpbhd)
Construction joints (Pbpbhe)
Bolted joints (Pbpbhf)
Expansion joints (Pbpbhk)
Lap joints (Pbpbhp)
Longitudinal joints (Pbpbhs)
Sawed joints (Pbpbht)
Seams (Pbpbhu)
Transverse joints (Pbpbhv)